Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Lift Up My Eyes to the Hills

"I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, my help comes from the Lord; my help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth."

This is the first verse of a song in our hymnal, "Songs of Faith and Praise" that we sometimes sing. While the tune isn't the most catching, the words are very thought provoking. They are taken from Psalm 121:1-2 - "I lift up my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."

Ever since I can remember, I've always had a song stuck in my head. Really. Sometimes it's an orchestral piece with various parts running through, and other times it's the words of a favorite hymn or recent song heard on the radio. Regardless, there's always one in there.

Today I had the song "My Help Comes from the Lord" stuck in my head, and it finally dawned on me, "What and/or who are my hills? Where does MY help come from?" I'm afraid to say that the hills in my life aren't typically the ones I should be looking to...

So often it's so easy to receive advice from somebody about something you're going through. It's so simple to get an idea when walking by something that sparks your attention. We draw so much from the things surrounding us: our hills. Sadly, those hills can become very large, and block out the mountain that stands behind them.

The LORD almighty is somewhat like a big mountain to me. I have always loved the outdoors, and I always feel so close and connected with HIM when in HIS creation. Where I'm from, the Cascade Mountain Range serves as the eye catcher in our area. Specifically the Three Sisters: Hope, Faith and Charity. Each one is over 10,000 feet tall, and when you look at them you can't help but see God. Rising high above the hustle and bustle of the area, they stand high and proud - a beacon for many. You always know that they're gonna be there, and you never stop looking at them with an awestruck look of amazement. The question, "How did they get there" never stops running through your mind. Regardless, they are there, and they're beautiful.

GOD is ALWAYS there, loving us, and wanting nothing more than for us to look to HIM. He knows everything we need, and wants to provide for us a sense of comfort, peace, and true love that nobody else can. We neglect his ever-present love and affection, and instead concentrate and focus on the hills we've created in our lives.

"As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore." - Psalm 125:2

Next time we're going through that tough time, and not exactly sure what to do, let's look to the mountain that is always looking on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment